Sunday, September 28, 2014

Jake

Oh how I love my little Jake.  He's quite the hand-full and can be a little stinker, but he is so fun and full of life.


Jake loves to get out.  He asks often to go in the car.  I don't think he cares where we go, he just likes to explore and see new places.  He especially loves trips to the park.  His favorite part of parks used to be the slides and swings and playground equipment, but lately he just plays with the mulch and dirt.  He'd much rather throw that around than climb and slide.  He's 100% boy.  The more dirt, sticks, rocks, bugs, trucks, and loud noises, the better.





Jake isn't the worlds best eater, although he really isn't very picky.  He just doesn't like eating.  He'd much rather be running around or playing with toys.  He's almost 3 and hasn't even hit 30 pounds yet.  His last doctor's appointment showed him with a barely healthy BMI- he's so tall and skinny.  You can see every single one of his ribs- both in the front and back.  It's not out of a lack of effort on my part- I'm always giving him something to eat.  I have my best luck with lunch.  I let him watch a movie for 30 minutes before his quiet time and give him a plate of high-calorie food.  He loves nuts, cheese, crackers with peanut butter, and chicken nuggets smothered in BBQ sauce.  He also likes apples, eggs, green beans, fruit snacks, and anything chocolate.


Jake has so much energy and can walk and run forever without needing a break.  He walks more than a mile at a time at the zoo and never complains of being tired or asks to get back in the stroller- he'd rather walk and hold mommy's hand.  He's definitely not lazy!  That's another reason I can't get him to gain weight- he's always running around burning calories.  He's healthy, though.  And I'm very grateful for that.

Jake loves puddles.  He can find them a mile away and is always in them before I even know they're there.  Whenever it rains, I put Jake in his bathing suit and walk around our apartment complex letting him jump in every puddle as we go.  He loves it.

For how much Jake loves puddles, he doesn't love baths, particularly getting his hair washed.  Every time he gets in the bath he yells "all done hair" over and over until his hair is either shampooed and rinsed or I confirm 25 zillion times that it's not a hair wash day.  I'm not sure what the problem there is- it all started one day, but I'm not aware of any traumatic events.  Hopefully that's a phase he'll outgrow soon.  Poor kid!


Jake would play with the iPad and watch movies all day if I let him.  Much to his dismay, we limit his screen time, but his favorite movies these days are Monsters Inc and Monsters University, Toy Story, Up, Frozen, and Cars.  He also likes Sesame Street, Daniel Tiger, Caillou, and Mickey Mouse.  His favorite toys are cars and trucks, although he loves a change of scenery and isn't overly attached to 1 specific toy.  He loves things that light up and make noises and he loves pretending like we're airplanes.  Jake can spin and spin and then spin some more.  The kid loves to be "dizz," his term for spinning and dizzy.  Lately he's been having other objects spin with him to make them "dizz" as well.

Jake is getting so much better at listening to books.  It took until a few months ago, but I can finally get him to sit on my lap and listen to books before bed.  He enjoys pointing things out and telling me what objects are and what color they are, etc.  He knows about half the alphabet and can count to 20.  He gets to "M" in his recitation of the alphabet and always says 14 next.  It's cute and something I want to remember :)  Maybe it's the books, maybe it's all the practice, or maybe it's just coming with time, but Jake's vocabulary is increasing at a great rate.  He's talking up a storm and doing great.  I'm so proud of him!


My little 2 year old cutie loves his octopus shirt, hates wearing socks and shoes, and finds himself in trouble a lot.  He really is a handful and has trouble written all over him, but I love my Jake-man like crazy.  I'm so glad I get to be his mom <3

No comments:

Post a Comment