Friday, April 3, 2015

Housing visit to CA

Last night Andrew and I returned home to Columbus after a fun-filled trip to the Bay Area in search of housing. Somehow being there and looking at apartments made it seem so much more real. We've known for 7 months now that we'll be heading there, and for the first time it doesn't seem ages away. I'm nervous, anxious, and really excited. 



It was such a strange feeling to step off the plane, and especially to walk out of the airport. My stomach was doing something between jumping jacks and tying itself in knots. Andrew looked at me and laughed because I apparently looked as overwhelmed as I felt. But I'm happy to say that I feel really good about things. I know that this is where we're supposed to be, and that makes me really happy and very grateful. 


We found several apartment complexes that we thought we could be very happy at, but one stood out as feeling like home when we walked in the door. It was actually the very first place we looked (and almost the last because we visited again shortly before flying home), and it's barely over a mile away from where Andrew will be working. Take that, San Jose traffic :) I'm sure we'll experience plenty of it, no matter how close to Andrew's work we live. But the weather there! It was lower 70's and upper 60's the 4 days we were there- perfection! And everyone noticed that we were in shorts and short sleeves. It was funny to see the Californians bundled up in their sweaters after coming from such a miserable winter in Columbus. They clearly don't understand what cold really is :)


Andrew and I spent most of our time looking at different housing options, but we also took plenty of time to eat! Eating on the company's dime was crazy nice. I enjoyed the incredibly delicious food even more, and we definitely visited places we normally wouldn't have. It was a serious treat!


We also spent an evening at the San Francisco Bay, walking along the piers between the Bay Bridge and the Golden Gate Bridge. We saw Alcatraz from the shore, the sea lions, Pier 39, fishermans wharf, and had quite the fun time waking hand-in-hand, chatting, and people watching. I hit an all-time high on my fitbit, walking more than 9 miles and over 20,00 steps. It was such a perfect night with Andrew. I'm excited to embark on this adventure with him and our sweet little kids!


Speaking of our sweet little kids, I'm pretty sure they had the time of their lives with my parents. Grandma and Grandpa spoiled them rotten. We got picture after picture of happy smiles and fun activities. Jake and McKenna are so lucky to have such stellar grandparents, who are already in the process of booking tickets to visit just a month and a half after we get to Sunnyvale. Thanks for taking such good care of our kids, mom and dad! We love you!





No comments:

Post a Comment