Sunday, January 13, 2013

1 Year Appointment

January 4th Jake had his 1 year check up with Dr. Radcliff.  He has hardly grown since 9 months- he gained about a pound and a half and hasn't grown in length one bit, although the nurse rounded his height up 1/2 inch.  He's 2 foot 6.5 inches now, which is the 75th percentile.  He's up to 20lbs 4 oz (13th percentile).  I'm not confident they're completely correct with his height not changing, as he's been growing out of some of his pants, which are turning into floods.

Jake did pretty well at at his appointment, although it was during nap time and lunch time, so he had his moments.

I realized (a minute too late) that I looked like the world's worst mom in front of Jake's doctor.  Twice.  She gave me a whole spiel on eating only during set times rather than snacking all day in order to set healthy habits for the future.  I have a degree in dietetics, so I feel like I have his eating down pretty well- he eats a very balanced diet and has healthy eating habits (although he crawls around like crazy all day, so he is gaining weight more slowly than it looks like he should be at meal time).  Anyway, she suggested not eating except at set times, and just a minute later, without thinking about it, I pulled out some goldfish crackers to sooth his fussing.  Ha!  Oops.  It was meal time and I knew he was HUNGRY, so it seemed like the right thing to do.  I'm sure she thought what she was saying was going in one ear and out the other.

She continued on, giving safety tips, asked about his developmental milestones, etc, and then started talking about how it was time to ditch the binky (or at least within the next 3 to 6 months).  We're already pretty good about only giving it to him when he's in his crib and in public emergencies.  And he has full access to it at church.  It saves us a lot of looks that way.  He seems to think church is a good time to chat away and practice his vocal skills, and the binky seems to keep that at bay.  I told her that, and again, a minute later he was fussing.  I wanted to hear what else she had to say, and Jake was thrashing in my arms, in desperate need of a nap.  So without thinking (at all!) I pulled out his binky and handed it to him.  As soon as I did, I realized I yet again look like the most ridiculous, noncompliant mom.  But he already had it, it calmed him down, so I let him keep it.  I wonder what was going through her mind as she watched me clearly disregard everything she had to say...oops.

Jake got 4 shots, and this was the first time he really seemed upset by them.  He always cried for a minute in the past, but this time it was rough.  He screamed and my heart ached as I held down his poor little legs down and the nurses poked him.  Poor kid!  And now, almost 2 weeks later, he still has a pretty good welt from one of them.

All in all, it wasn't our best trip to the doctor's office.  Hopefully his 15 month check up will go a little more smoothly :)



No comments:

Post a Comment