Saturday, December 8, 2012

Rough Week

This has been one of our rougher weeks.  I am SO glad it's over!  Tuesday felt like Friday, and by Friday, Andrew and I agreed that it should already be next Wednesday.

Jake has been sick for 3 weeks now, and even after an antibiotic for his ear infection, he was tugging at his little ears.  And despite medication for his diaper rash/yeast infection, the poor kid was bleeding and screaming with every diaper change, which broke my heart.


So off to the doctor we went . . . again.  Apparently his ear infection is gone, but the pressure in his head from being congested for so long is pulling on a membrane in his ear, which the doctor said can be pretty painful.  He's definitely acting like that's worse than the ear infection itself :( Poor kid!

And because the over-the-counter medication his pediatrician recommended for the yeast infection didn't work, she put him on a prescription, which just today seems to be starting to help.  She said he should start feeling a little better every day until he's eventually back to good health.

With his ears hurting already, I am freaking out a little about the plane ride coming up on Tuesday.  I have a feeling nobody on the plane is going to like us by time we land...


Jake spent some time running around in just a hoodie and (mismatched) socks this week to help air things out down there, which hopefully helps with the rash.  He sure seemed to enjoy freedom!  Luckily we contained him in the kitchen, so it wasn't too big of a deal when he peed and pooped on the floor.  I guess I can say that because Andrew's the one who cleaned it all up :)


Our little munchkin did appreciate all the extra baths, which soothed his little bum.


Work has been pretty crazy for me lately, and with all the extra attention that my poor, sick little man has required, Andrew and I have had some really late nights.  I worked until 1am 3 times this week.  I'm not usually one to go to bed too early, but working until 1 is rough.

Andrew has been incredibly busy with finals week and all the extra tutoring that people want in time for their big tests.  While it's made him lose some sleep, he has earned enough for us to have a nice Christmas and a happy first birthday for Jake, for which I'm grateful.  The extra tutoring money has definitely been a blessing, although I'm sure Andrew wasn't thinking that when he was up working until 1am with me.  At least we were together!

Tuesday I managed to find a time to finally make it to the grocery store, although unfortunately it was during Jake's nap time.  He was a little cranky, but I was in a hurry anyway, so were were zipping through the store pretty fast.  I grabbed a rotisserie chicken for dinner, since my time grocery shopping meant zero time for cooking.

Andrew wasn't home from school yet when I got home from the grocery store, so I had to get all the hot/cold foods in the house in one trip...across the parking lot and up 3 flights of stairs with Jake, his car seat, and the diaper bag.  In an attempt not to pile things on top of Jake, I set the chicken in my diaper bag on top of all of Jake's things for the journey up to our front door.  I got inside and realized the chicken container had come open and there was chicken juice ALL over the bag and coating all of Jake's things.  Ohhh it was a mess.  And goodbye first diaper bag.  There's no way it's coming clean again, and even if I get it to look decent, the dog will always be trying to dig into it.

So Friday I ran to the store to grab a new diaper bag, since we need one right away with our trip to Utah coming up in a few days.  I know essentially how to get around the places we typically go in Columbus, but I'm not a very directionally oriented person.  In an attempt to not get lost, I plugged in the address for Babies R Us into our GPS, and Jake and I were off.  I opened the door and it was raining.  I thought about waiting, but it's such a big ordeal to get a baby ready to leave that I figured we could tough it out.

We were driving down the freeway and got to the exit I thought we should take, but the GPS said to keep going.  So I did.  I thought I knew how to get to the store from the next exit, but again, the GPS said to keep going, and I listened.  I figured there was a better way.  It was pouring and Jake was crying in the back seat, so I was singing Christmas songs (off key, of course) to try to keep him happy.  And I kept driving and driving, since the GPS told me to.  Eventually I got off the freeway, made a few turns, and the GPS said "arriving at destination" when I hit a dead end road in the ghetto, miles and miles past where the store really is.  Ugg.  But we made it, 20 long and wet minutes later.  And I love my new diaper bag.  And borrowing my parents extra car.  What a blessing that has been this week!

The week seemed so bad going through it, but I suppose it wasn't as awful as we thought.  I got a new diaper bag.  Andrew's brother, Tanner, got his mission call (TO DETROIT- we're so excited for him!)  I have a job that helps keep us out of debt.  Andrew made a lot of money tutoring.  We found good Christmas presents and did some toy shopping online (in the wee hours of the morning).  And we have the cutest little baby EVER.

We are so blessed to have each other and such a sweet little boy!





Here's to hoping next week is better!

3 comments:

  1. Hey. So I hope this isn't the case with you guys, but I just wanted to let you know just in case. Jack had a yeast infection for like 4 months or something, and the doctor kept giving us new prescriptions and each new thing would work for a little bit, but the rash came back every time we stopped using it. Finally I was googling the problem and saw that lots of kids have issues with milk allergies/intolerance/who knows. Some are fine on soy milk, others rice milk, some just needed organic milk. I put Jack on rice milk and the rash went down within a day. If Jake has this issue, I don't want you guys to have to go through months of wondering and suffering. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christa! That sounds awful. I'm crossing my fingers that it's not an allergy and will go away, but I never would have suspected that- thanks for the heads up. I'm glad you guys figured it out, because I'm sure that was miserable for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Christa! That sounds awful. I'm crossing my fingers that it's not an allergy and will go away, but I never would have suspected that- thanks for the heads up. I'm glad you guys figured it out, because I'm sure that was miserable for all of you!

    ReplyDelete